Adjective: derivative di'ri-vu-tiv
- Derived from, based on or imitating something else
"a derivative process"; "a highly derivative prose style"
- The result of mathematical differentiation; the instantaneous change of one quantity relative to another; df(x)/dx
- derived function, differential coefficient, differential, first derivative
- A compound obtained from, or regarded as derived from, another compound
- (law) a financial instrument whose value is based on another security
- derivative instrument
- (linguistics) a word that is derived from another word
"'electricity' is a derivative of 'electric'"